Friday, August 3, 2012

Keys to Daily Devotion Time


A Pinterest pin
        Psalm 119 has the distinction of being the longest chapter in the Bible.  Most of its 176 verses are about the Word of God. Some of the things the Psalmist directs us to do with God's Word are: 
      believe it,
         hide it,
           use it,
              rejoice in it,
                find comfort in it,
                  meditate on it,
                     delight in it,
                        and most importantly, to love it. 
  
   In order to accomplish all that this Psalm instructs, we must set aside time DAILY for Bible study and prayer. So, here are my KEYS for beginning and maintaining a daily devotion time with the Lord.  They are easy to remember because they all begin with "D". 

DECIDE - DELIGHT - DISCOVER


 "Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee."
Psalm 119:11

  • DECIDE to have devotion time daily.  That may sound basic, and it is, but unless you make a decision about your devotion time, it will not happen.  God will help you with the tools and the time, but YOU must decide that it is  essential for YOUR daily walk with the Lord.  I won't lie to you, it does take a certain amount of determination to set aside quiet time every day, but the rewards are huge!

"I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways. 
I will delight myself in thy statues:  I will not forget thy word."
Psalm 119:15, 16


  • DELIGHT in the time you choose to spend with the Lord.  The whole point of daily devotion time is to feed on God's Book.  However, studying the Bible the same way day after day, month after month, could cause you to lose enthusiasm for its richness and beauty.  Don't get me wrong, nothing will ever take the place of God's Holy Word, but it's OK to try different ways to enjoy it!  Consider this, the Bible should always be your main course, but add side dishes like Christian books, articles, tapes and music to keep your daily intake of spiritual nourishment interesting.  Spiritual food is the same as any other food - we need a little variety in our diet to keep it delightful!


 "Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law."
Psalm 119:18

  • DISCOVER the truths in Scripture.  No human will ever understand all there is to know about the Bible.  This wonderful, spiritual Book is God's conversation with His children and it has awesome power to enrich your life. I love to think of my Bible as a treasure chest filled with gems and jewels just for me.  My prayer is that you will begin discovering your treasures from God's Word today! 
I hope these keys help you to discover more of the precious blessings and promises of God's Holy Word. I'll cover making TIME
for daily devotions in my next post...

7 comments:

  1. This is beautifully written. You are a hidden treasure here waiting to be found. I'm going to pin your blog to my pinterest board and hopefully you will get some new followers that way. I'll do what I can to get the word out about you. Thank you for sharing what God has laid on your heart. Don't be discouraged by the lack of followers right now. When they do come, they'll scroll back and read these posts. ~ Abby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delightfully done, Pamela!! Love the simplicity of the three "D's" - God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lovely Miss Abby told us about your site, so I stopped by to say hello and follow you.
    Blessings!
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  4. His words are precious...may we all endeavor to savor them more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sweet blog is a "treasure". May the Lord continue to bless you as you share. I stopped by from Abby's recommendation. So glad I did. I will be following you. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello...Abby sent me over to visit and it's nice to meet you. Thank you for the encouragement here and welcome to the bloggy world. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there, Pamelyn,
    I want to welcome you to blogging also! I am so glad that Abby pointed me in your direction!

    ReplyDelete