Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Book Marker Project

  "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them."      Ephesians 2:10




     A few years ago I took on a project to make cross-stitched book markers for the ladies in my church for their birthday.  Finding the right pattern for each ladies' individual taste was what I enjoyed most.  It was a simple project, provided something I thought they could use, and it gave me something to do while watching TV at night (kept me from snacking!).   The ladies looked forward to seeing what their book marker would look like and thanked me profusely for the gift, exclaiming it was "too nice to use".  Toward the end of the year I realized that they meant every word of what they said.  Not one lady had removed her book marker from its plastic holder, not to mention, over half were not even in their Bibles.  The book markers were at home in a "safe place"!  I just couldn't understand it!  I tried my best to convince them I had made them sturdy and durable enough to be used as book markers. 


Here's a picture of my Mom's - still in the plastic! 



     I had to keep reminding myself that these sweet ladies cherished my gift so much they didn't want them to get "messed up".   But, here's a lesson from the Book Marker Project

 


In my Christian walk, am I using what God has given me,
for the purposes He intended,
OR
am I just sitting in a safe place - like the book markers?

    

     Ephesians 2:10 states that WE are God's workmanship, created to be useful in His service.  The "good works" of this verse does not refer to working for salvation.  Salvation is by grace, followed by good works that honor and glorify the Lord.  We were created by God for His service and we are to be busy about His work.  God gave us talents specific to the work He has for us.  

    I'm a decent cook ~ not great and not even good ~ just decent enough to keep myself from starving!  The simple truth is, I just don't believe I have the "knack" for cooking.  Preparing a meal for guests is outside of my comfort zone, however, I'm certain that if God intended for me to prepare a meal in my home for a visiting Missionary and his family, He would give me sufficient cooking skills to prepare that meal!  And I, in turn, would have no excuses but to cook. 

    My thinking has always been that I should learn the skill thoroughly and then attempt to do the work.  But, when God calls us from our "safe places" He intends for us to step out in faith; without worrying about whether we have the level of ability or talent to accomplish the task.   

     I encourage you not be the "book marker in the safe place" - step out in faith and serve the Lord wherever and whenever He calls.

~Pamelyn   

   

   

    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment