Monday, October 7, 2013

That Can't Be Right

Printable Calendar at IMom.com

OCTOBER?!  THAT CAN'T BE RIGHT! 

I took a deep breath the last day of August

and ...poof... September disappeared!


When I was younger I would hear the older folks say things like "Where does the time go?" and "Boy, this year has flown by".   I'd wonder what calendar they were using because my Monday-Friday workdays were just crawling by.  Back then I was much busier and felt a little like Scarlett in that I had decades of time ahead and,  after all, tomorrow is another day...

Well, guess what - I'm the one looking at that older folks' calendar saying "WHERE HAS THE TIME GONE?"  And asking if it is possible to buy back some of that time I didn't worry about back then?  Of course we can't get back the time we've already spent, however, according to Colossians 4:5, we should, "Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time." 
I like how the Amplified Bible expands this verse:    Behave yourselves wisely - living prudently and with discretion - in your relations with those of the outside world (the non-Christians), making the very most of the time and seizing (buying up) the opportunity. 
Not to ourselves, but for the Lord

Instead of buying up more time (which is impossible) we should strive to live our lives wisely, prudently and with discretion, seizing every opportunity of every day to make the day count for the Lord.  In this way we will please our Heavenly Father  and our relationships with others will honor Him. 

God never asks anyone to do the impossible.  If it were not possible for our daily walk to please Him and influence people that need the Lord, His Word would simply not instruct us to do so. 

 
URGENT MATTERS

However, there is an urgency about the time we have on this earth.  Consider Ephesians 5:16, "Redeeming the time, because the days are evil."   We are warned that wasting time is a tool the devil uses to side-track God's people in living for ourselves instead of living for Him.   Any opportunity that God gives us to serve Him must never be wasted.

According to Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary, "Time is a talent given us by God, and it is misspent and lost when not employed according to His design."  (Commentary Reference)

Another urgency about time is that it is measured and it has a deadline. Ecclesiastes 9:10, "Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest."  If we are going to do anything for the Lord it must be now - not later.  The thing about Scarlett's philosophy is that we are not promised tomorrow.    
 

 

 
I pray that you will make today, and every day count for the Lord by living according to His plan and purpose for your life.
 
~Blessings,  Pamelyn


 

 
 


 








3 comments:

  1. A wonderful word! I am also one who is now wondering where all that time went. I'd be all about The Lord allowing me to redeem some. Not going to be easy now that it takes me three times as long to do anything. =>

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pamelyn! Time is a gift for sure, and I know I am often wondering if I am using it well. But worry is never the way to go, right? I know he will lead me where he needs me.

    Time does seem to be going faster these days. I guess it's because I am slower!
    Sunday Blessings :)
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for taking the time to comment... I really appreciate it! Have a great day....

      Delete